« Home | Last Words Revisited » | Disgusting? » | Routines » | A journal entry » | Taking Time » | Debts and Aphorism 214 » | It's About Progress » | What am I supposed to do? » | Do The Right Thing » | Me First »

Aphorism 258 and Sharing

I love Balthasar Gracian. The man wasn't terribly original. He often contradicted himself. Yet, a lot of his aphorisms can really make you think. Well, make you think if you're the thinking type. I think I am the thinking type. (I guess I should mention that I've been coding for about twenty hours. My eyes and brain are a little fried. -- Oh, and I haven't slept much in two days. Whee!!!)

So, I try to meditate (medicate?) on one or two of Gracian's aphorisms a day. By try, I mean I actually get around to do it about once a week or so. But hey, it's the thought that counts, right? So, for various reasons, I have some time on my hands. That makes for some reading and meditating. Which brings me to...

258: Find out some one to share your Troubles.
You will never be all alone, even in dangers, nor bear all the burden of hate. Some think by their high position to carry off the whole glory of success, and have to bear the whole humiliation of defeat. In this way they have none to excuse them, none to share the blame. Neither fate nor the mob are so bold against two. Hence the wise physician, if he has failed to cure, looks out for some one who, under the name of a consultation, may help him carry out, the corpse. Share weight and woe, for misfortune falls with double force on him that stands alone.


Ok, I know. I've been pushing the relationship thing pretty hard in my last few posts. There's reason for that. I'm in one. Imagine that. In a pretty good one, actually. It has ups and downs, as with any relationship. But, overall, it's been pretty good.

See, for me, I feel I've managed to do just that. I've found someone to share my troubles. She's a decent sort, but she has issues. Then again, the same can be said of me. Actually, it can be said of anyone. But, in the end, I've found The One with whom I can share my troubles.

I've often said that it's the bad times, not the good times, which define a relationship. Anyone can be a friend when things are going well. Anyone can be in love, as long as things are perfect. It's easy. The good times are just that: good. That means they're often not very hard.

The bad times. Now, there's the difference. When you're down, when the world is going against you, when your luck has run out; that's when you find out who your friends really are. That's when you find out if your partner has the salt to stick with it.

Which is where Gracian is coming from, I think. Not just someone to share the blame. But someone to share the weight. Taking on too much can crush any man (or woman). Finding that person to share that weight with, who will do it no matter what, can make all the difference.

I've managed to find my partner. We've gone through some interesting times. But, in the end, she's that one I can share the troubles with. She tends not to share as much with me, but I like to think that I take some of the weight off her as well. Truly, it's made all the difference for me.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Christopher
  • From Fairport, NY, United States
  • I am an old-style computer geek. My first bit of code was "Hello, World!" written in Basic on a TRS-80 (Trash-80 ftw!). I have since persued an interest in computers both as a hobby and (more recently) a profession. My current position is that of a .NET Developer for Paychex of NY. I'm a bit of an evangelist when it comes to new technologies.
My profile