« Home | Me First » | Paradigm Paralysis » | A Decision » | If Tomorrow Never Comes » | Settling » | Sex? » | Giving up the fight (for now) » | True Friends (rant) » | It needs to matter »

Do The Right Thing

Do the right thing.

How many times have you heard that? I know I've heard it more times than I care to recall.

But, here's a question... Have you noticed that, often, the people who want you to do the right thing aren't really in the loop? Not to say they aren't involved in the situation. I'm just saying they often don't have a real stake. Regardless of what you do, their life won't really be affected. They're happy to dole out advice, but seem to lose interest once they have to pony up.

I'm sorry, but that pisses me off. If you want people to do the right thing, and you want to (try to) push them into it, then stand up for what you believe. I'm not the greatest person on the planet, not by any means. But, whenever I've given advice, it's always been what I would do if I were that person.

And...

If I offered help, it was there. Yes, sometimes I've overbooked myself. Sometimes, for the little stuff, I haven't been there. But, when the chips are down and I've said you could count on me, you could. No matter what it cost me.

So...

Consider that the next time you hear those words. And consider twice, before you speak them.

Labels:

I guess what you really have to look at is often people claiming to have the answers and are looking to do the right thing are often only looking to do the right thing that benefits them the most.

No matter if it is right thing morally or something to gain materially, it is put into play so when the chips finally do fall they can say 'Well at least I tried'

Over the years, I myself have discovered that the right thing only comes from the answers that I have concluded. If I followed the paths people had chose for me and went by their definitions of right, it just put me in a more horrid situation as I knew what the right choice was... Now I am stuck doing something that I should not have been doing and then begin to despise the people around me for throwing myself into the situation.

No matter what you do, it will never be right in the eyes of others. No matter what road you take, even if it is the one that those around you determined good... It will never be quite good enough.

You need to do what you know is best... In the end it will all work out in your favor.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Christopher
  • From Fairport, NY, United States
  • I am an old-style computer geek. My first bit of code was "Hello, World!" written in Basic on a TRS-80 (Trash-80 ftw!). I have since persued an interest in computers both as a hobby and (more recently) a profession. My current position is that of a .NET Developer for Paychex of NY. I'm a bit of an evangelist when it comes to new technologies.
My profile