« Home | A Decision » | If Tomorrow Never Comes » | Settling » | Sex? » | Giving up the fight (for now) » | True Friends (rant) » | It needs to matter »

Paradigm Paralysis

When I was training to be a paramedic, I learned a phrase: paradigm paralysis. Paradigm paralysis is a fancy way of saying tunnel vision. I use that phrase a lot from time to time. I use it to describe myself, other people, and situations in general. Everything we perceive is filtered by paradigms; by what we know (or think we know).

Paradigms are not bad things. They help us filter through the chaff. They affect how we perceive everything. Our experiences, our knowledge, and our instinct all combine to allow us to function in the world. But, they can also cripple us.

For me, the essence of Taoism is overcoming paradigm paralysis. It's being able to see that there are, or might be, possibilities we haven't considered. It's being able to think outside the box, or even discard the box. Paradigms can lock us into situations. Sometimes, we need to break those paradigms so we can grow. The child-like mind; the ability to see things as a child. No rules, no limits.

When you treat a patient, if you allow paradigm paralysis to creep in, you can overlook something vital. The ability to asses the patient, the whole patient, is vital. You have to approach the situation with an open mind. That allows you to effectively treat the patient's problems. If you don't, and you miss something, you could lose the patient.

All I'm really saying in this post is that it's important to review our paradigms. To consider if they are holding us back, or helping us. Keeping a mind open to possibilities allows us to see what we might not have considered. Virtually every great achievement of man had their nay-sayers. People who suffered from paradigm paralysis, who couldn't see what could be. The truly great people throughout history were able to see beyond the paradigms; to see into what could be.

So, try to keep that in mind as you look around yourself. Time and tide changes all men. If you maintain your paradigms, you will miss the change. You'll miss the possibility of growing.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Christopher
  • From Fairport, NY, United States
  • I am an old-style computer geek. My first bit of code was "Hello, World!" written in Basic on a TRS-80 (Trash-80 ftw!). I have since persued an interest in computers both as a hobby and (more recently) a profession. My current position is that of a .NET Developer for Paychex of NY. I'm a bit of an evangelist when it comes to new technologies.
My profile