« Home | It needs to matter »

True Friends (rant)

Some people that piss me off:

Ex-whatevers. That includes ex-wives, ex-boyfriends, ex-bosses. Naturally, anyone who was romantically involved bubbles to the top. In my case, it's an ex-wife. No, she's not completely an ex yet, but I'm working on that. Twenty years I wasted on that wench, and I'm sick and tired of wasting any more.

Family. You've heard the old adage; you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family. Yeah, right. Watch me. I've just about had my fill on that front as well. The problem with family is they take it for granted you have to tolerate them. They also tend to help, but with strings attached. They do this for you, you have to do that for them.

Ingenuous people. You know the type. They say one thing, but mean another. They are ill intentioned. I've been screwed more times than not, because I tend to take people at face value. Actually, now that I think of it, this relates directly to my current situation and the past twenty years of my life. Hmm...

So, I say all that to lead into my real point: I've had it up to my neck with my present situation. I've decided it's time to run the show my way. I'm surrounded by people who are willing to promise the world, but when it comes time to deliver, they bail. I tried playing nice guy, and it's not done all that well for me. There's a country song popular now, it mentions finding out who your true friends are.

See, it's never about the good stuff. People can stick when every thing is all nice and rosy. But when the shit hits the fan, that's when you find out who your real friends are. The only good thing for me is I don't have that many friends I have to filter through. I'm about to find out which ones are really there, and which ones are paying lip service.

The thought you should carry away: which ones of yours are true friends? I'm in a shit situation (ending a twenty year marriage, burning resources way faster than I'm replenishing them, etc.) Over the past six months, I've learned real quick who might be my real friends. Now, I'm about to really see. Take the time in your live to evaluate it. If you don't, you could end up just like me.

And yes, this was one long rant, with a lot of things not said. But I wanted to get this out on paper (sic) so that people would know: change is on the horizon.

Side note: my situation is my own doing. No one else is responsible for where I'm at. Hence, it is no one's responsibility but my own to get out of it. Will there be damages and losses, yes. But, if I don't save myself, everyone else will be hurt far worse.

Labels: ,

Previous posts

About me

  • I'm Christopher
  • From Fairport, NY, United States
  • I am an old-style computer geek. My first bit of code was "Hello, World!" written in Basic on a TRS-80 (Trash-80 ftw!). I have since persued an interest in computers both as a hobby and (more recently) a profession. My current position is that of a .NET Developer for Paychex of NY. I'm a bit of an evangelist when it comes to new technologies.
My profile