« Home | Aphorism 258 and Sharing » | Last Words Revisited » | Disgusting? » | Routines » | A journal entry » | Taking Time » | Debts and Aphorism 214 » | It's About Progress » | What am I supposed to do? » | Do The Right Thing »

Aphorism 224...

I've been writing in a journal, coding my arse off, and vexing over a matter close to my heart. On top of that, I've managed to make a couple blog posts. I want to post again, but not really sure where to go with the post. All that said, I thought I'd take a stab at another of Balthasar Gracian's aphorisms.



So, without much pretext, here's one...



224. Never take Things against the Grain,
no matter how they come. Everything has a smooth and a seamy side, and the best weapon wounds if taken by the blade, while the enemy's spear may be our best protection if taken by the staff. Many things cause pain which would cause pleasure if you regarded their advantages. There is a favourable and an unfavourable side to everything, the cleverness consists in finding out the favourable. The same thing looks quite different in another light; look at it therefore on its best side and do not exchange good for evil. Thus it haps that many find joy, many grief, in everything. This remark is a great protection against the frowns of fortune, and a weighty rule of life for all times and all conditions.


I like this one. I think it hints at the core of Taoism. Not that I'm the greatest of Taoists. Hell, you probably really shouldn't even take my advice. But, if you're foolish enough to read on, then you take what you get.

What he's saying here ties in with an earlier post. It's all about attitudes. It's also about taking the path of least resistance. It's about finding the good. Actually, Gracian makes reference to this in several aphorisms.

Mind you, I don't think he's saying you need to ignore the bad of something. But, rather, find the good in it. Whatever that good may be. Often, the trick to finding the way to accomplish something lies in seeing what can be accomplished. You can often defeat yourself, simply by not taking the time to see what you can do.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Christopher
  • From Fairport, NY, United States
  • I am an old-style computer geek. My first bit of code was "Hello, World!" written in Basic on a TRS-80 (Trash-80 ftw!). I have since persued an interest in computers both as a hobby and (more recently) a profession. My current position is that of a .NET Developer for Paychex of NY. I'm a bit of an evangelist when it comes to new technologies.
My profile