« Home | Doing Time » | Emotional Blackmail » | Differences » | Failure Is An Option » | Friends and Family » | Circumstances » | Aphorism 224... » | Aphorism 258 and Sharing » | Last Words Revisited » | Disgusting? »

A Rant

So, I guess I just don't get it. I mean, I do, but I don't.

When you become involved in a relationship, certain things change. It's no longer just you. Often, it becomes you and me (you and I, whatever). If you're really lucky, it becomes us. That transition causes some changes.

It's a natural progression to transit from single friends to couple friends. Hell, it's a natural part of life to grow away from people. You lose contact with them. You find new people to hang with. Life just is, and changing friends is part of life.

Yet, it amazes me how certain things can rip friends out of your life. I know, when I met my ex, the same thing happened to me. Mind you, she was a vile bitch. That, in itself, drove many of my friends away. The other thing was that I quit partying. There was no longer a common interest to hang with a certain group of people.

But that's different that what I'm talking about here. There are times when one becomes involved in a relationship that one's friends simply abandon one. And I think that's fucked up. I mean, really fucked up.

See, here's the thing. Friends are supposed to be, well, friends. I guess I can understand when it's life that draws you away. You lose touch with someone. Ok. But, when a person in your life walks away, simply because you've chosen to be with someone (or, better yet, found The One), that's fucked up.

Were they ever really friends in the first place?

Jess and I have been touching on this topic for a while now. She's (mostly) moved out of the party life. I've been there. She's suffering the same affects. But, what I find interesting about her situation is the number of friends that have simply stopped talking to her. Stopped talking to her, because she's involved with me. She was a socialite in many ways. Now, I can count on one hand the number of people who still talk to her.

I'm not sure what it is. Jealousy? Perhaps. Really, there's no way to tell.

I just think it's fucked up. But, I guess I just don't understand it.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Christopher
  • From Fairport, NY, United States
  • I am an old-style computer geek. My first bit of code was "Hello, World!" written in Basic on a TRS-80 (Trash-80 ftw!). I have since persued an interest in computers both as a hobby and (more recently) a profession. My current position is that of a .NET Developer for Paychex of NY. I'm a bit of an evangelist when it comes to new technologies.
My profile