« Home | Brokeback Mountain » | Relationships » | A Rant » | Doing Time » | Emotional Blackmail » | Differences » | Failure Is An Option » | Friends and Family » | Circumstances » | Aphorism 224... »

A picture is worth...

A picture is worth a thousand words. That's what they say, at least. And, I suppose it's true. But, what are those words? What words does the picture replace? What does the picture say? See, there are different types of pictures. And these different types, speak different words.


These are the type which capture something. Admittedly, these are the type which I understand the least. My wife, Jessica, took a picture of a bucket, half in the sand, on a beach. She and I discuss it from time to time. What it means, what emotions or thoughts it evokes. Sadly, for me, it is just a bucket in the sand.


I bring this up, as Jess and I were married this past Saturday. I'm quite happy. Naturally, we got a lot of photos out of the deal. I took the time to edit some tonight, and post them to my myspace account. While I was editing them, they brought a smile to my face.

You see, that's the good thing about photos. They are snapshots of a time. They capture a moment. They help you remember that moment. For things like weddings, they can take you back to that time. They can help you remember the feelings. It's one of the reasons we got married; that we would have photos (memories) to hang on the wall. Something to show people what it was like; how happy we were.

But, photos can work the other way. There are photos which remind you of less happy times. Or they catch a moment in time which you'd rather not have seen, rather not have remembered. Those photos can burn an image into your mind that is hard to escape.

Good or bad, photos are photos. I'm glad Jess and I have some to remind us of that day, of that time.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Christopher
  • From Fairport, NY, United States
  • I am an old-style computer geek. My first bit of code was "Hello, World!" written in Basic on a TRS-80 (Trash-80 ftw!). I have since persued an interest in computers both as a hobby and (more recently) a profession. My current position is that of a .NET Developer for Paychex of NY. I'm a bit of an evangelist when it comes to new technologies.
My profile